Saturday, May 05, 2007

Simple Wants

Quite simply - I want honesty. I am not, as one man with the best intentions has desired to represent me, I am not Christian severity contrasted with Christian leniency.

Not at all. I am neither severity nor leniency - I am... mere human honesty.

I want honesty. If that is what this race and this generation want, if it will uprightly, honestly, frankly, openly, directly rebel against Christianity and say to God, "We can, but we will not subject ourselves to this authority" - but observe that it must be done uprightly, honestly, frankly, openly, directly - well then, strange as it may seem, I am for it; for honesty is what I want. And wherever there is honesty I can take part.

- Soren Kierkegaard, as written in A Short Life of Kierkegaard by Walter Lowrie.

No comments: