Saturday, November 13, 2010

Trimming old stuff

Lately I've been trying to go through my bookmarks and cut stuff. Many of my bookmarks are cool sources of reference information. I don't use these often but they could be handy sometime. Others are articles that I plan to read but still haven't read after several years. The former I should probably keep, but the latter I feel like I should definitely read and then cut out. Then again, I'm not sure of that - what if I want to refer to the articles in the future? Maybe I could keep a separate little folder of articles, or write an article about the interesting articles. But that's a lot of work. One thing I try to do is add them to Wikipedia since then I can find it through my contributions, but some of this information really shouldn't be in Wikipedia. In the long-run, I want to record everything I've read somehow in a database, along with notes on how extensively I read it, as I do for the books that I read. Which reminds me of how I need to write up that program, as well as a program which makes it easier to track where I'm spending all my time. But for that I need to study more programing. Sigh.

It's hard going. I got down to the Economics folder of my bookmarks and started reading through QuickMBA, where I got through about half of it. It is a great site - the accounting section is particularly nice for someone like me who does not have a strong accounting background.

I also glanced to some of the old blogs linked from here. With a couple exceptions I haven't really read any of them with any regularity in the past year or so, probably longer. In my trimming quest, I started with Barely Legal (and quickly drifted from there to the hilarious In It But Not Of It). Barely Legal is probably the funniest of the blogs (example), and also has a great message: law school is not all its cracked up to be. See, for example, Law School Student Story #4. Law is something that I get constantly sucked into learning about. It's handy to know about bankruptcy law, trusts and securitization, and the dirty details of corporate taxation, but ultimately it distracts me from what I keep telling myself I need to learn about: programming, math, and science, in that order. So I'll be trying to trim excessive legalese out of my life, and I may be recording some of what I've read here while I do that.

No comments: