Wednesday, June 14, 2006

White Nights, the PUA Literature

Today I was reminded again that the roots of the PUA movement, or at least the ideas present in them, crop up frequently in classical literature. The first time I witnessed it was in Basil and Josephine by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Many great authors follow a chain of influences, and one of Fitzgerald's great influences was undoubtedly Dosteovesky.

So I started White Nights today and was intrigued by the nature of the story. It was a self-styled dreamer, shy and introspective, who somehow happened upon a girl, one who he happened to understand well. He was obviously tripping all over himself with her romantically, but the girl understood him completely and they became friends. The boy - I should say man, since he's 26 - constantly exposes his weakness. He nearly cries, constantly decries his silly dreaming ways, and declares his love for Nastenka constantly.

There's a few telling quotes in the story: "And you know, I compared the two of you and decided that you are the better of the two, though I love him more."

I won't spoil the rest of the story, plus I'm lazy. Highly, highly reccomended poignant little story. Mine was in a compilation with Notes from Underground - likely my favorite story.

No comments: