Friday, May 12, 2006

Community service

I worked for a long time today. I shouldn't say too much, because the situation is kinda unique. In brief, I hung out with a guy who used to move and mentored a formerly meth/heroin/crack-addicted woman. Interesting day..

After I woke up at 4 AM, I did some searching for a good personal finance program. I need to watch every single thing I pay, and track where the money is going monthly. I need to get in control of my spending.

I found a lot of things. Most weren't good. The two very simple downloadable programs I could use are Simple Money and Home Bookkeeping. Neither are free. HBk is better; you can transfer values from one account to another. I'll have an account for my petty cash and categorize where that's going. I need to watch how much I spend on marijuana.

I've decided to use a strangely well-designed but abandoned project at over at www.fncentral.com. It's completely unsupported; the email addresses don't work, but it's the best designed web-based accounting program I've found. Its dates end at 2005.The other promising one I found at www.mvelopes.com costs money but looks much better.

So much to do with so little time. I feel bad...sorta sad...in a few days I probably won't see one of the girls I appreciate and like the most for a long time...

Best album I've heard in a while: Nada Surf's "Let Go".

No comments: